Powered By Blogger

Friday 24 June 2011

Podcast Review - Rouleur

Lets dispel any illusions immediately. This podcast has been produced as a promotional vehicle.

Like any business, Rouleur want to showcase their product so that our appetites, suitably whetted, lead us to our local stockist to part with a crisp tenner, or online to order a subscription.

That's not a bad thing for me, as I happen to love their magazine.


Rouleur - Issue 24

Anchored by The Bike Show's Jack Thurston, this first podcast is a 32 minute plug for Rouleur Issue 24, which is now on general sale. Jack is joined by Rouleur Deputy Editor, Ian Cleverly and funky super snapper, Geoff Waugh for background conversation on some of this issue's key pieces.

I have to admit, it didn't start well for me. I found the cut glass tones of Jack Thurston jarring, while the sound quality from the two contributors was dodgy to say the least. Production quality is never the first thing I look for in a podcast - in fact some of the classics are shambolic at best, but you expect more from a brand like Rouleur - I guess I was hoping for the aural equivalent of their beautifully crafted magazine. How I expect them to transfer the unique smell of their mag to audio, I have no idea... but that's up to them, and if they do it, they are on to a winner.

That's the negative out of the way - I thought the content was great and my initial pickiness was placated by a genuinely well balanced conversation about David Millar's new book and fascinating behind the scenes discussions on current articles, including the African Racing Scene and flying Scotsman, Graeme Obree.

By the end, I had completely forgotten my initial misgivings - Jack's accent possibly tempered by the familiarity of Geoff's much more manly North East Essex drawl and the listener friendly tones of Ian Cleverly.

7/10 for this first effort - I will be back for more and hope to give it a higher mark next time. This podcast has real potential and I hope they achieve it.

Listen for yourself - http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-rouleur-podcast/id445620088http:/itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-rouleur-podcast/id445620088

If you are into Twitter, you can find the guys here:
Jack Thurston @thebikeshow
Ian Cleverly @iancleverly
Geoff Waugh @theWarhead

2 comments:

  1. 2nd Edition now out, you'll find it on iTunes. hope you like it. thanks for the feedback, hopefully you'll notice the improvement in the sound quality this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats great news Jack - thanks. I'll be downloading tonight.

    ReplyDelete