Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 2 August 2011

Changing the Guard

Changing the Guard

I experienced one of life's milestones last night.

Colchester Rovers hold a great kids series of grasstrack racing throughout
the summer. My son goes and whenever I can I'll leave work in time to see
at least some of the racing.

Once the session is over, I sometimes do a couple of laps myself. Last
night I was challenged to a single lap race by my 12 year old. He won.

OK, I was on a hybrid and not kitted up, but he won... and a win is a win.

Its a moment that I knew would come, but didn't expect it to be this year
or even next.

He's had a good season but a phenomenal last month. I have been very
pleasantly surprised by this rapid transformation - something fundamental
has clicked - a combination of his confidence on the bike and a new found
physicality.

I may have been slightly peeved at losing, but what a proud moment.

I am now really looking forward to him getting the better of me in Time
Trials and Cyclocross - but not for another couple of years... Please!?

No comments:

Post a Comment