Powered By Blogger

Thursday 4 August 2011

Podcast Review - Rouleur UPDATE

Its back.

Following a solid debut with a couple of teething problems but bags of promise, Jack Thurston has returned to host the second Rouleur Podcast.

Rouleur Editor, Guy Andrews and author Richard Moore (I am saving his Slaying The Badger, together with Matt Rendell's Olympic Gangster, for my holiday reading) replaced Ian Cleverly and Geoff Waugh as guests on this episode.

I like the idea of a rolling panel of guests, particularly when the participants have treated us to some highly intelligent comment, insight, conversation and analysis. I look forward to hearing the next guests, and I hope, the return of Ian and Geoff at somepoint in the future.

My biggest problem with the first show was sound quality - I am pleased to report this has improved massively and increased my enjoyment of the discussion on this year's Tour de France, Trek and ground-breaking 80's and 90's Soigneur, Shelley Verses.

Of course, this podcast exists to promote the latest issue of the magazine and it does this very well - it sounds like a great issue.

However, don't let the thought of this plugging put you off... this 'cast is up there with the very best of the current crop of cycling podcasts. It actually fills a gap in the market by avoiding the fanzine style comedy of a number of my other favourites.

If there were such a thing as a Gentlemen's Cycling Club, this podcast would be like sitting in a fine leather chair, eavesdropping on the learned opinions of the senior members. The comparitive sobriety of this podcast is completely appropriate and works - it carries an air of comforting authority.

Listen for yourself


If you do Twitter, Jack and Richard can be found @thebikeshow @rbmoore73 while I suppose @rouleurbooks would be best for Guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment