Powered By Blogger

Monday 3 October 2011

My Worst Race Yet?

On the face of it, Saturday's CC Ashwell Cyclocross was my worst race yet.
I've never done well on this course and the heatwave temperatures did
nothing to improve the relationship this time round.

On my last couple of training rides and even the warm up on Saturday,
everything on the bike was working nicely.

However, as soon as I put the power down at the start, the crunching of
slipped chain let me know it wasn't going to be plain sailing.
After a barrier dismount a total seizure of chain and chainset lost me yet
more time as I frantically clawed at the bloody thing to try and free it.
By the time the first small rise was to be negotiated, my drivetrain let me
know in no uncertain terms it was was not coming out to play.

At this point, I have the wisdom of a 12 year old to thank for avoiding my
first DNF. "Dad? Why don't we put each others bikes in the pit in case
either of us have a problem?", he asked. I couldn't think of a reason why
not, so we did.

So, I was now able to do the next 4 laps on a 12 year old's bike and claw
back some places. From stone cold last (72nd) to 44th by the end.

Initially, I had some issues with handling, but following a single
altercation with a tree, I got the hang of it and started to get a little
quicker. I am not going to pretend my six foot frame didn't look a bit out
of place on the bike, either, but I finished and beggars can't be choosers.

In some ways, this turned out to be one of my better races.

Of course, I was last out of my clubmates who don't accept excuses easily.
Oh well.

Basildon on Saturday and we can start all over again.

Ps - I was going to post a picture of my tree gashed shoulder, but thought
this one of the fast start to the Youth race was much nicer.

No comments:

Post a Comment