Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 19 October 2011

Sitting One Out

There be riders in these woods
Following my incident at Basildon the previous week (see last blog – Another Tale of Cyclocross Misadventure) I was a bit bruised, sore and unable to ride a bike.

This combination of circumstance is always irksome, but was particularly disappointing last weekend. Not being able to ride my bike meant missing out on the Amis Velo Hillyfields Supercross.

Amis Velo may not be my club, but this is my home race, taking place no more than a few hundred yards from my front door. I know the course like the back of my hand – walking our dog there regularly and riding the trails most weeks. Its also home to the Colchester Rovers training sessions.

If  I was going to do well at any race this season, I felt this was going to be the one – my pre-season aim was to give this one my all and trust in local knowledge and experience to guarantee a higher than usual finish. My off at Basildon put paid to that grand idea.

Triggsy crests a climb on home turf
I have to say, I really enjoyed spectating – having the time to chat, catch  up with many of the people who helped me the previous week and soak up the glorious October sunshine on the grass bank above the start/finish line.

Knowing the woods well, I was also able to walk the course, cutting corners to catch as much of the action in different spots as possible – I loved it.

Mark Fraser saved one of his diminished stock of cowbells for me, which I put to good use annoying as many riders as possible on a couple of climbs.

There were a couple of offs on the start finish line and a few thorn cuts visible of riders’ arms, but the injury prize of the week has to go to Tiffany Hore.

Following a spill on a tight corner, she ended upside down in a bramble bush. Still clipped in, she couldn’t move her legs and lying on a bed of brambles meant she couldn’t push herself back up. By the time I had made my way down the slope, she was being helped out by a guy from Welwyn Wheelers. She remounted, legs covered in blood and finished the race. One tough cookie.

Thats my boy - Fin smiles or grimaces for the camera
Some great racing was on show in all categories with outstanding rides by junior National Champ Hugo Robinson in the Elite Race and Sean Dunlea in the Youth.

The organisation by Amis Velo was, as ever, superb and I managed to spend a Sunday with bikes and cyclists without once feeling sorry for myself that I couldn’t come out to play.


Youth U16/U14 Video from John Swindells


Veteran / Womens Race video from John Swindells


*AGAIN – A PHOTO AND THE VIDEO HAVE BEEN NICKED FROM OTHER PEOPLE’S YOUTUBE AND FLICKR - John Swindells and Amis Velo, respectively...

No comments:

Post a Comment